One of the most common question we get asked, is whether a consumer should buy a memory foam mattress or latex mattress and what are the differences? It is really an excellent question, since memory foam and latex mattresses have grown in popularity by leaps and bounds and yet many consumers are lost as to which one of the two is better. That is why we wanted to do an in-depth article to discuss some of the benefits and negatives to each type of mattress technology, so that you can hopefully make a well educated and informed purchasing decision.
1. Low Profile And Light Weight – When compared to a traditional innerspring mattress, memory foam mattresses are fairly light weight and can be transported and maneuvered around by just one person. They are excellent for adjustable beds or low profile beds, that you don’t want to have a lot of height.
2. Super Soft And Luxurious- If you are looking for a bed that is super soft, yet provides support and gives you a feeling that you are almost sinking into it, then a memory foam mattress is the way to go. The unique thing about memory foam, is the fact that it adjusts in shape temporarily based on pressure and a persons body heat.
3. More Affordable Then A Natural Latex Mattress- Memory foam mattresses tend to be a bit more affordable then natural latex mattresses, due to the lower costs to produce them.
4. The Ability To Choose From A Variety Of Firmness’s- Due to different types and densities of foams used in the construction of memory foam beds, some manufactures allow you to really customize your bed to get the desired firmness.
1. Heat Retention- Memory foam mattresses due tend to retain more heat than most other types of mattresses including latex. That said, there have been a lot of advances from gel infused memory foams, to holes in the higher density foams that allow for heat transfer away from the body. So it’s not a huge deal these days, you just want to look for a memory foam mattress that is gel infused.
2. Not Ideal For Stomach Sleepers- Due to the soft cradling nature of memory foam mattresses, most are not recommended for stomach sleepers. That said, they are ideal for back and side sleepers.
3. Not Ideal For People With Back Problems- Unlike latex mattresses that are quite firm and specifically designed for individuals with back problems, memory foam mattresses are the exact opposite. While there are some memory foam mattresses that are more firm, generally you are going to be better of going with a latex mattress if you have back problems.
1. Super Firm And Recommended For Patients With Back Problems- For a long time chiropractors and back specialists have recommended latex mattresses, since they are extremely firm and even bouncy. Meaning if you apply pressure to them, they provide opposite pressure, helping to keep your spine, and neck properly aligned.
2. Natural And Organic- If you purchase a 100% natural latex mattress, you can be sure that there are no harmful chemicals or other contaminants in the latex mattress. In fact, since the rubber is harvested from tree’s, your entire bed is eco-friendly and you can feel good about purchasing it.
3. Hypoallergenic And Dust Mite Resistant – A great thing about latex, is the fact that it’s hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant and as well as mold and mildew resistant. If you suffer from allergies, then a latex mattress is ideal not only for that, but the fact that you can wipe it down with a spray bottle of soap and water or even Lysol disinfectant.
4. Long Lifespan And Warranty – Another great thing about latex mattresses are the fact that they last exceptionally long, they do not break down or wear out like most other types of beds. So it’s not uncommon for a latex mattress to last 10-20 years. In fact most of the suppliers provide warranties and it is not uncommon for them to be 10 or even 25 years long.
5. Multiple Firmness Choices – One great thing about latex mattresses are the fact that you can really specify and dial in your preferred mattress firmness. Some mattresses even have the ability to allow you to interlock different firmness latex material, to adjust the firmness of your mattress. And there are even dual sided latex mattresses that have two different firmness levels on each side, so if you want a really firm mattress and find out it’s a bit too firm, you can easily flip it over.
1. Can Be Costly- Compared to memory foam mattresses, 100% natural latex mattresses can cost a lot more. The flip side is latex mattresses last a long long time, so while you are paying a bit more upfront, you really are getting your money’s worth.
2. Heavy – Latex Mattresses tend to be quite heavy and you may need two people to move it into position or in and out of your bed frame, if you need to make adjustments to your bed or clean under your mattress. It’s not a huge issue, but something to be aware of.
3. Not Recommended For People With Serious Latex Allergies- One thing to be mindful of if you suffer from latex allergies, is the fact that if you should come into direct contact with the latex mattress it could cause an allergic reaction. The vast majority of consumers do not have to worry about this, since you have to come into direct contact with the latex, and there are mattress covers and your sheets that all act as a barrier between the mattress and you. So really you would have to remove your sheets, then un-zipper the mattress cover itself, to come into contact with the latex mattress, to potentially have an allergic reaction.
While there is no clear winner in the battle of memory foam mattresses vs latex mattresses and while both are excellent mattresses you should have noticed a trend. If you are looking for a really firm mattress or suffer from back problems, then a latex mattress is going to be the ideal choice. However, if you are looking for a super soft and luxurious mattress that you sink into, then you will want to go with a memory foam mattress. Other than that main deciding factor, just pay attention to some of the things we mentioned, such as making sure if you are purchasing a memory foam mattress that it’s infused with gel. Or if you are look at latex mattresses you should be aware of what you are buying and recognize the difference between 100% natural latex or a latex hybrid.